In 1801, at the time of the first census Kingston upon Hull had a population of over 22,000. By the standards of the time it was a large town. By 1900 it had grown to over 10 times that number. At the beginning of the 19th century the last part of the wall south of the town was demolished. Wellington Street, Pier Street and Nelson Street were laid out in 1813.
In 1809 a new dock, the Humber Dock was built. This was followed by a third dock the Junction Dock which was built in 1829. Because of these improvements Hull grew rapidly and many new houses were built in North and South Myton and in Sculcoates.
In 1814 a dispensary was opened in Hull where poor people could obtain free medicines. The same year a lunatic asylum was opened.
In the 19th century the whaling industry in Hull declined and finally ended in the 1860s. But the fishing in Hull boomed. So did shipbuilding. Oil milling and the manufacture of paint continued. There was also a cotton weaving industry in Hull in the 19th century.
In the 18th century the streets were lit by oil lamps during the winter months. But Hull had gas street lighting from 1822. An electricity generating station opened in 1893 but it was decades before electric streetlight replaced gas. The first telephone exchange in Hull opened in 1880. In the 18th century there were night watchmen who patrolled the streets at night. However from 1836 Hull had a modern police force. Also from 1887 there was a volunteer fire brigade. (This became a professional one in 1938).
The first public park in Hull was Beverley Park, which opened in 1860. This was followed by West Park opening in 1885.
In 1832, in common with other towns Hull suffered an outbreak of cholera. This was followed by a second outbreak in 1849. Victoria hospital for sick children opened in 1873. In 1881 an outbreak of smallpox in Hull killed 689 people. An infectious diseases hospital opened in Hedon Road in 1885.
A School of Art opened in Hull in 1861. A Technical School followed it in 1894. The same year the Central Library opened. Kingston upon Hull was made a city in 1897. Meanwhile the church of the Holy Trinity was restored in 1869 and again in 1907.